Kitchen Assistant Job Description
As Kitchen Assistant, you will be required to provide a general level of assistance within the restaurant kitchen, including general food preparation, kitchen duties and cleaning. Because of the close working space, you will be responsible for keeping floors and surfaces clear and to develop constructive working relationships with the entire catering team.
We are committed to developing all of our staff so we are looking for an individual who is enthusiastic about good food and delivering excellent customer service. This post will involve working to a shift rota and will include evenings, weekends and public holidays.
MAIN TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. To undertake general preparation of food – ie, peeling and chopping vegetables, preparing salads and sandwiches, assisting with the baking of bread, etc.
2. To assist in the preparation of meals under the supervision of the Chef or other appropriate staff.
3. To understand and adhere to all food hygiene and health and safety requirements in order to meet regulatory and Company standards. This includes the safe use of knives and other sharp utensils.
4. To maintain a high standard of personal hygiene. To ensure that a clean uniform is worn at all times.
5. To undertake general cleaning duties throughout the kitchen, including wiping work surfaces and mopping floors. This will also include stocking and emptying the dishwasher at regular intervals.
6. To ensure that spills and other slipping hazards are dealt with immediately.
7. To provide a cleaning service, including setting and clearing of tables, in the restaurant if required. To serve meals to customers if additional cover as and when it is needed.
8. To attend staff meetings and training designed to maintain high standards of hygiene and health and safety throughout the restaurant.
9. To work in a safe manner at all times and behave in such a way that the health and safety of work colleagues is not adversely affected.
10. To undertake any other ad-hoc duties relevant to the post as and when required.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
General understanding of the workings of a restaurant kitchenBasic knowledge of food hygiene, storage and preparationHigh standards of cleanlinessAbility to work well within a close knit teamAbility to follow instructions quicklyAbility to work unsocial hoursSKILLS AND EXPERIENCE (DESIRABLE):
Training in food hygienePrevious experience in a catering environmentSee also :
Kitchen Assistant cover letter
Kitchen Assistant interview
Kitchen Assistant salary