If you’ve just finished your degree and you’re searching for your first big break then you’ll know it’s a tough job market out there! With so many candidates applying for every job you’ll be up against some real competition.
Get ahead of the competition by using your Social Media profiles to actively search for a job or advertise yourself as available. If you’re not already doing it, you could be missing out on some excellent opportunities. Have a look at this inforgraphic by Joshua Waldman to understand why.
– Most hiring managers are using Social Media to post job adverts and research candidates.
– The majority of recruiters (98%) use LinkedIn, Twitter (42%) and Facebook (33%) to do this.
– Over a quarter of the recruiters asked had over 1000 LinkedIn contacts because as you know, it’s not what you know it’s who you know! The more contacts you have, the more chances of getting a job.
– 37% of employers use Social Media to research their candidates, so make sure you’re online footprint is clean, and you have a clear online brand.
– A proactive approach to job seeking using Social Media is more likely to get you the job. Make sure your strategies include:
1. Find a list of companies and hiring managers to aim your search at;
2. Identify what these companies and professionals are looking for in a potential candidate;
3. Make contact using your profile with the relevant people; and
4. Transition from online contact to face-to-face.